2.28.2011

Make this!


I tried a recipe from marthastewart.com yesterday. It was so good. So here I am sharing it!

Baked Ravioli
Prep: 25 minutes Total: 50 minutes
Baking pasta with cheese on top creates a chewy and
crispy topping kids will love. You can assemble the
dish ahead and refrigerate it, then bake it right before
dinner.
INGREDIENTS
Serves 4 to 6.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, or oregano
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 pounds store-bought ravioli
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large
saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and
season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally,
until softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and tomatoes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, breaking up
tomatoes with spoon, until sauce is thickened and reduced
to about 5 1/2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted
water just until they float to the top (pasta will continue to
cook in oven). Drain pasta; return to pot.
3. Toss sauce with pasta. Pour pasta into a large gratin
dish or 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and sprinkle with
cheeses. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly
before serving.



I used 3 14.5 ounce cans of tomatoes. None of them were crushed so I crushed them myself. It seemed like a lot of tomatoes to me so I did less, but after baking it there was room for more tomatoes, but it wasn't bad with less! I also used dehydrated onions and dried garlic so I went straight to heating the tomatoes and adding the seasonings. I used thyme and it was perfect. The ravioli I used was from Costco, it is already pre-cooked so that part was quick.

4 comments:

DeFreese said...

wow! yummy!

Camille said...

Yum - make some for me!

kim and ned said...

I will make this!

lady di said...

That looks and sounds like it is delicious - save some for me!