4.10.2011

DIY CTR ring color change :)

4/11/11 UPDATE: the ring has been lost! ;)

Way back in the day my older sister Alecia taught me this awesome trick. Today i got to pass it on to Ellen. She didn't really do much, but I had lots of fun doing it. i didn't even mind when she told me she hated the purple color and wanted it pink instead. Instructions follow.


You'll need:
1 standard Green shield CTR ring
tin foil
crayon (color of your choice)
pan
Heat source (i used a stove, and honesty I don't know what else you'd wanna use)
q-tip
paper towel



Place a square piece of foil inside your pan. Set the stove to a low setting and allow pan and foil to warm up. Take your crayon and rub it around the foil until you get a nice little puddle of melted wax.


Dip your ring in the wax, making sure it is completely covered.

Alternate between wiping off the wax from the silver parts and keeping the wax soft by holding the ring on the foil. Use a paper towel piece for the larger parts and the q-tip when you've just got the small detailed parts left. It'll take more than just one dip and wipe so keep working at it. :)



If you don't like the color just hold the ring on the foil on the heated pan and the color will melt and you can just wipe all the color off.

5 comments:

alecia said...

Yay!! Thanks for posting this. And I have to thank Amy McIff for teaching me :)

DeFreese said...

i remember this! that was so fun.

Janell R. Cropper said...

Very cool :) Now all you have to do is paint the whole thing with clear nail polish and it won't turn her finger green :)

lady di said...

Good job remembering that trick - I love the pink and I know Ellen does too! Fun to read about it!

Camille said...

That's an awesome little trick. I could do blue/black for my boys! Although a black CTR just doesn't seem right - but would be cool!
Thanks for sharing.